Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Be Inspired #68 - Cupcake (cake mix) tote bag tutorial

This week at Cuttlebug Challenge blog, we challenge you to take out your hearts, lace, flowers and vintage images and create a vintage card, layout or altered project.
I used my Cuttlebug Diamonds in the Rough embossing folder on my black card stock for my frame around the little girl image and on my large heart on the frosting cannister.
My gift set was made with these donated vintage papers from Crafty Secrets! Aren't they gorgeous? They were *almost* too pretty to cut.

Are you ready to see how I did it? Supplies: 2 sheets of 8.5" x 11" card stock, ribbon 2 @ 25", and photo tape (or any strong double-sided adhesive), and these two items:
1. Front & bottom/Back & bottom: I chose two sheets @ 8.5" x 11" of dark pink card stock. I cut each sheet down to 9 1/8" x 5 1/2". I scored one end of each sheet at 1.5" (these will be overlapping box bottoms.) Sides: From the scraps of pink card stock, I cut two pieces
@ 6 5/8" x 2 3/8". I scored each piece 3/8" from each side. Use photo tape (or a strong double-sided adhesive) to attach these two to the back of the tote. (See picture below:)
2. Now set the cake mix box inside and adhere the front of the tote. (See picture below:)
3. Ribbon handles: Cut 2 @ 25". Using photo tape, tape one end of the ribbon on the bottom of the box. Then adhere up the front. Now take the other end and adhere on the bottom of the box. Adhere up the front of the box. Repeat to add other handle: adhere to the bottom of the box (overlapping the ribbon for the front), up the back side, then adhere other end (overlapping the other front end ribbon) and adhere up the back.
4. Decorate as desired. I used a scrap of pink card stock and glued to the bottom of the front side to hide the ribbons coming up from the bottom.

5. Now decorate frosting container to coordinate!
(Frosting- front left view)
(Frosting- front right view)

Other supplies used
:
Black card stock: I used two Nestibilities rectangle dies to create the frame. I used my Pazzles to cut the large heart.
White card stock: EK Success border punch
Pink card stock: Hero Arts stamped sentiment
Acetate: little girl stamp (Stampa Rosa) with black Stazon ink; I glued the acetate to a scrap of paper that I painted with walnut ink.
Various hearts from Crafty Secrets papers: SU punch, one popped up with an SU dimensional on the crown and one popped up on the frosting

This was really fun to make. Now that I figured out all of these measurements, I will probably make this again sometime. This one will be my Valentine's Day gift for my girls' delightful 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Jacobs. Love her!

14 comments:

Windy Hills said...

Fabulous--WOW! This is a great idea!!!

EileenMV said...

This is a great idea! Love the vintage theme too!

lauren bergold said...

oh WOW! that is such an amazingly clever idea, june--both as a "sweet" gift and also as a lovely altered project! you are just TOO clever, missus!!! ♥♥♥

csroyal said...

How cool is this, June!??! Great job!

Leslie Hanna said...

Oh, how CUUUUTE!

Kard Queen said...

Now this is a great, no fabulous, idea!

Kay said...

You are SO clever! WOW, I love the ideas you always come up with. This is truly a fabulous project. Love the heart border punch, too! ♥♥ Kay

America said...

Brilliant and lovely! What a Great Take on the Cuttlebug VINTAGE challenge.

Shantaie said...

how cute is that crown on her head?? I just love this project! I hope to see you Friday!!!

Helen F. said...

WOWOW June~This is a fabulous and fun project and those papers are gorgeous!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

June, this is fantastic!!! I love this idea. Every Thursday night we have pizza with a few families. Funfetti is a staple for special occasions. Hope you don't mind if I CASE this perfect project to celebrate Valentine pizza night!!

Linda Brun said...

Great project. Beautiful papers and I really love the crown.
Hugs

Deb said...

June, this is absolutely marvelous, love your paper and the crown!! You are such a sweetie to share these gorgeous projects with us! :-)

Crazie Kat said...

What a unique idea and I am gathering my supplies to do the same! Great job!