Wednesday, January 6, 2016

In Honor of Leslie Hanna

 Me, Leslie Hanna, and Lisa (Papergrace Designs)

Some of my best friends are those that I have met through blogging…and I consider many of you readers dear friends that have not met in person…yet :)  I started blogging because my best friend, Tracy, encouraged me to give it a try.  My very first dear bloggie friend (2007) is Lauren, who I finally had the pleasure of meeting in person in 2015.  In 2008, Lauren and I "met" Leslie Hanna.   I was in the good fortune to live only an hour+ away from Leslie.  My only LSS was half-way between our homes, so we frequently met there.  Leslie did not like to be photographed, but the picture above was one of those rare photo-ops that she allowed.

In 2010 Lauren and Stef started the Jingle Belles blog, and Leslie and I were very loyal participators.

If you have visited Leslie's blog, she was a delightful read.  So witty and kind…and she disliked the color pink.  Whenever she used any pink, or even just had to type the word, she wrote "gah-pink."

Imagine my delight when I was on the Shopping Our Stash (SOS) DT with both Lauren and Leslie!  I stayed only six months because we were in the process of moving and I had to let a few things go at the time.  Later Leslie took over running the SOS blog.  Leslie suddenly passed away on December 25th.  Her children, Max and Alex, have given their blessing to keep the SOS blog up and running.  This week's challenge at SOS is Color Me Monochromatic (or Pink) in honor of Leslie.  I think this challenge would make her smile.
I am also entering my card at Jingle Belles Something Old/Something New challenge.  My MFT Die-namics snow drifts die is new, but the Echo Park pink papers and Stampin' Up scallop punch, SU circle punch,  and SU rub-ons have been in my stash for at least a few years.

Leslie was so well-loved by so many crafters.  She and I both have a fondness for cats.  I recall when she had to put her cat Koshka to sleep and she was there for me when I had to put my furry girl (Skeeziks) to sleep.  Then she adopted Bobra ("Bob-ruh") and they made a fabulous pair; he looks amazingly like Barbra Streisand, but he is a boy, hence "Bobra."  Then I adopted two furry boys that I named Cadfael and Llywelyn, after two of my favorite characters in historical fiction novels.  Leslie also enjoyed reading historical fiction, and she was very generous in giving me her books when she finished reading them.  I am ever so grateful for Leslie's friendship.

Cheers,  Leslie!

12 comments:

Lisa said...

What a beautiful tribute to your friend, June!! I'm so sorry for your loss...my thoughts and prayers are with her family. The card you made is so beautiful!! I love the swirly design and the details!! I bet she has a huge smile on her face as she looks down from Heaven at the pink beauty!! Happy New Year my friend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

lauren bergold said...

yeah, this is a TOUGH ONE i tell ya; i still can't quite believe she's gone, but HOW COOL is the (gah!) PINK tribute at sos?! i can't help but think she would be laughing her butt off & (hopefully) thinking she'd left the blog in good hands. meanwhile i ♥♥♥LOVE♥♥♥ this card and not just b/c it's for SOS and JB, tho obviously i love that part too! xoxoxoxoxo lauren

Chana Malkah said...

Your card is beautiful, June! Such a nice tribute to Leslie! Thanks for sharing with us here at Shopping Our Stash!
Hugz,
Chana, DT

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Love love love this!!! Loving that you are having a challenge in her honor!! Your card is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmilynStef said...

What a touching tribute to a fantastic lady ... all of that pink would make her gah-smile ... so glad you started 2016 with us at jingle belles.

Migdalia said...

Such a touching tribute to Leslie. Your card is Simply beautiful!!
She is smiling right about now up in heaven...
Have a blessed day my friend,
Migdalia
Crafting With Creative M

Donna said...

Beautiful post June, thanks for sharing with us.
Your card is perfect for the challenge! Thanks for playing along with the crew at SHOPPING OUR STASH for our "Colour Me Monochromatic" challenge!

Marie Bingaman said...

A beautiful card and tribute for a beautiful friend. :)

Chris Dring said...

What a wonderful post to honor a great friend. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. She was one of a kind and will be missed greatly. Your card is fantastic in (Gah!) pink! I think Leslie would approve...after rolling her eyes! Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

Marina said...

The white on the pink has surprising great impact - this is a lovely Christmas card - pink but not sugary! Lovely tribute to your friend too.

Barbara Godden said...

what a beautiful tribute to "our" Leslie, she was a gem, even though I only "knew" her for two years, I loved reading her blog and giggled all the way through and played on her sketches too. Gorgeous (gah) pink card. Thanks for playing along with us at Shopping Our Stash for the monochromatic challenge.

Julie M said...

What a touching post, June. I saw Alex's post about his Mum on Shopping our Stash and was very saddened to read it. Such a lovely thing to keep Leslie's challenge going - and to honour her with the pink (gah!) tribute. Your card is just lovely.

Julie :o)